RCU Forums - View Single Post - Airboat Engine Question
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 06:33 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by NEW222
Ok, and please allow me to ask another question. When assembling my airboat, the big one, I will be using 1/8" Baltic Birch Plywood. Once it is cut and the framework is ready to be assembled, what is the glue best used for this application? Also, what is the recommended glue for gluing the bottom, top, and / or side sheeting on with. I do plan on putting a coat of polyester resin on the framework, and joints before installing the top deck.

P.S. I really like the look of the airboat you have pictured in your avatar, whatever it is.
I use regular 2-part epoxy for all assembly of the framework, sheeting, and final sealing of the sheeting. Typically I use 15 minute and 30 minute for assembling framework and gluing the sheeting on and 60 minute finishing resin for sealing the outer sheeting. The last build I did (Selph Inflicted tapered flat bottom .40 series) I used the finishing resin for the outer skin sealing except I thinned it down a little bit - about 20% with clean methanol. Acetone will also work. Thinning the resin (after mixing both parts well) allows a thinner coat that penetrates better. Doing three thinned coats seems to work better than two un-thinned coats. I sand each coat smooth after curing with 150 grit sandpaper and wipe clean thoroughly with acetone twice. This removes the parafin layer that deposits as the resin cures. I don't know if polyester does the same thing or not.

If you look through the airboat forum, you'll find several of my build threads. The boat in my avatar is the "Kamikaze" airboat designed by Hooty301. That boat weighs about 8 pounds RTR and was originally built for a K&B .65, and later used with an ST S90 and now an Enya R120-4C. It's 39"L X 18" wide. There's videos of it on YouTube as well as my other boats. I think I've built 9 boats total now.