RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sterling kit schooners Emma C Berry & America - help please
Old 03-25-2016, 08:46 AM
Suffolk Sailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterling kit schooners Emma C Berry & America - help please

Hi I am new hear but looking for some help.

back in 1973 I completed the Emma C kit, poor balsa, internal balast and all. Home made mighty midge winches and home made radio gear. It was the first real yatch I ever made.

A couple of weeks ago I got a part built model of the same boat which I am now going to finish - this time putting on a bulb keel, replacing as much visible wood with something a bit better and taking molds from all the white metal fittings so I can cast them up in filled epoxy if I need them again etc.

I would really like to make another one of these but have no hull templates etc. as the hull was made up. If I can get anything on the sister ship of the " B" the America I would really like to make one of these as well.

at the time I just could not afford another one - I was a very poor student. I used to make up models and sell them to eat.

i made quite a lot of Stearlings aircraft up at about that time and although the wood and die cutting was terrible I suppose they all looked good and I have a lot of happy memories from the endeavour.

Can anybody help? I would like to make up an Emma B from scratch after the one I am finishing and I would really like to make up the America.

I remember coveting the kit in the window of "Hobbies" a model shop in Sheffield after selling the Emma B I had just made to buy a Christmas present for my Fiancé.

Can anyone help? It would be appreciated - really good site this