RCU Forums - View Single Post - ST-Models DG-1000 Electric Glider Crashed and Reborned
Old 05-07-2016, 07:00 PM
jegouvuniv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ST-Models DG-1000 Electric Glider Crashed and Reborned

Everything happens for a reason:

I used to fly Gliders when I was a teenager... about 30 years back. I had many sloped with sea breeze perfect for slope soaring.

The other day passed by an RC club and sat there for a while watching the planes fly and remembering the good old days. So it Hit me... I wanted to get back in the game.

The first thing I did was to get me a Flight simulator to practice and get back that feeling with the controls. So I was OK with that. Made me a Dolar-Tree foal glider Got me some servos, lints and I was ready to fly. Found a park with a small slope where people fly. but then the slope is only good when winds are from the south. There is another place were people fly with bigger slopes but its about 2 hours away from my house.

Spoke to a guy that had an electric glider and recommended me to get me an electric one. He tried the hi start, but it's a pain to set up and all that work for 5 to 10 minutes of flying. So decided to get me an electric glider.

I'm not a fan of propellers, Who am I kidding... I live in South Florida where there are no slopes for real gliders.

So I got me a DG-1000 from ST-Models. With it's retractable podium was the closest thing to a real glider.

So started flying my new glider. At the beginning with gentle moves and progressively with more aggressive moves. So sooner or later the wing was going to collapse. After 3 weeks flying it it happened. The good thing was that I managed to repair it and made the wings and joiner stronger that the original.

so here is the video of how the glider performs after my repairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y50716_GfZI