RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Ryan STA question
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoBravo
How does the old GP Ryan compare with the Tower/Phoenix ARF available today. Wingspan, weight and engine size?

Tom
The Phoenix Ryan is slightly smaller then the original GP, 70" vs 80" wingspan. The lines are good but the scale rendition of Gosney's ful scale Ryan is so-so.

To make it look more like Gosney's and the GP version I redid the black striping on wings and tail plus modified the fuse stripe. I wanted it to look more like my earlier GP version so I ordered 2" (50mm) black/white checker covering from Hobby King for the wing bottom and the smaller checker version for the stab. I extended the red (Monokote Dark Red is a close match) on the fin onto the rudder. The wheel pant upper skirts were repainted as well as the lower part of the pant. Black teardrop stripe was added. I still had the decal art from my original so scaled it down and cut or printed the markings and AMA number as the NC number. The bottom of the fuse should be red but I chose to leave it rather than recover.

Using a Hobby People .91 sized outrunner coupled to their 80A ESC, 6S 3200 LiPo. Have not flown yet as I want to open up fuse bottom inside cowl for ESC cooling as bench runs have it heating up more than I like. Will make a cooling exit on the fuse bottom in front of the wing.

Overall quality is very good and assembly pretty smooth with the usual adjustments to any ARF. Wheel pants/skirts were a pain just like the original GP but patience gets them done. Weight with LiPo about 10 pounds. If I did another I would go with glo 4-stroke or small gasser. Fuse and cowl are better suited to those engines as cooling for electric components is restrictive.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Phoenix Ryan 1.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2164300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phoenix Ryan 2.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2164301