RCU Forums - View Single Post - So I wanted to/planned to buy a nitro on-road car, but now I am not so sure...
Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 AM
The Saylors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you can do for that situation (i run in the wet a lot since the rain here is constant) look at a chassis cover from outerwears. I'm sure they make on for the pede. They are super fine mesh that keeps everything out, even most of the water itself but air can get in. I got tired of the two hour cleaning routine as well. Also i know some people might scoff at me for doing this but i hose my traxxas stuff off outside with a pressure nozzle when the gunk gets in, always have. Just try not to force water into the wheel bearings. once done hit the wheel bearings and screw heads with a shot of wd-40 and let dry. Cut my cleaning from 2 hours to 4 minutes not including dry time, but if you have an air compressor then dry time can be cut way down. I know its scary to put electronics underwater like this but i have yet to damage anything doing this with traxxas models in the last year of doing this hobby. Also stock screws rust no matter what you do, water does make it happen faster but i can assure you all the screws on that truck will be red in a year or less. Get some anodized ones if it really bothers you but its really not necessary as the rust you see is all surface and really doesn't weaken the hardware much if it does at all. Mechanical savvy comes from messing it up and learning from it lol. What i do is i take a part off and then put the screws that just came off back into their prospective holes until i'm ready to go back together that way i know everything is going were it needs to be and i wont be screw hunting. If that isn't possible then i set the screws down in "batches" based on the are they came off of the truck. It gets really easy the more you do it (i was nervous as hell to take apart my shiny new toy the first time i got one but you get over it. And if you mess it up real bad then that's we are here for!