RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli 1/6 Hellcat Build
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 09:28 AM
DaleCS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cockpit progress

Ok - progress is no faster....spending quite a bit of time on the mountain bike trails. The exercise is good for me - too much sitting at work, and a new bike has helped relieve a couple pain issues.

I contacted Chad and he's putting a dashboard and gun sight together for me. Though the DB gun sight is also a Mark VIII, Chad's has a second piece of glass on it, that is seen in few F6F pictures - need to do some my research, to find out what this piece does - perhaps a filter to reduce glare on sunny days? Should have the parts in a couple weeks. Will post pics right away.

In this picture, note the phenolic brackets at top and bottom, behind the seat. These were once one piece, from DB. I don't know, yet, if this is what DB intended, but I ended up cutting the one piece bracket into two. As one piece, it didn't look close enough to scale. Also, the larger one-piece bracket sat on top of rivets in the rear panel, when placing the bar at correct height. In some of the pics/links identified by others in this thread, I became aware of the bottom bracket. So, take the large piece, cut it and now I have top and bottom brackets that look a bit more scale.

Also, I intend to attach the lap belt anchors to these bottom brackets, as found in some on-line pics.

Next, I plan to drill/peg the top brackets - don't want to rely just on glue, given engine vibration and the pain that it will be to repair if it comes loose - if I just use glue and it comes loose, it will be much more difficult to peg it, later, Once this is done, I can glue up the seat, its frame work, paint the rear panel and floor.

Not shown, I've reinforced the joint where the rear panel and floor come together, from back/internal side, and then filled/smoothed the corner with a fillet of epoxy and micro balloons. Also, trimmed, sanded the rear panel, lower fuse portion for attaching stringers and sheeting, and cut clearances for the sliding canopy rail. Not big stuff, but necessary.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3499.JPG
Views:	2647
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2178620