RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOPRC/GatorRC P-51 Mustang 89"
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 02:34 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny.C
Hi Tim,

What do you think about the Top RC retract kit for the mustang?

I noticed you are using a dedicated battery for the retract system. Do the retracts pull a lot of juice off of the retract battery?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Blondie mustang and was wondering about the Top RC retracts. I prefer Sierra or Shindin retracts, but if the Top RC retracts are working they actually look good enough to use. I took your advise and ordered a HK retract sequencer. This will be my first experience with electric retracts, sure hope its a good one.

Sonny
Well I have mixed feelings on this as of right now.

I only have two sets of electric gear, one in My TopRC Zero and in the Mustang. The Zero was the first set I ever owned and I was skeptical on that at first. After a couple of dozen flights I absolutely fell in love with the ease and consistency of them. The first problem I encountered was on 25-27th flight were I forgot to recharge the battery's ( MY FAULT) only one went up the other 1/2 way. Luckily they both came out for the landing. " Thats it"

I went with a pair for the Mustang since they are just plug and play and they look GOOD. Now the Zero has a radial (very low vibration) and the Mustang a BIG gas engine with tons of Vibration even when rubber mounted. So on the 5-6th flight one gear decided to retract 1/2 way, I thought it was probably a low battery so threw the gear back down and nothing. The one leg came down and the other stayed 1/2 way. I cycled them a few times and no change the left leg would not do anything so I had to land with one gear 1/2 way down. The plane has VERY good handling so I got it slow full flap and landed on the one leg slowly letting it stall onto the other gear. All went well NO damage so after investigation the gear was cycling but no leg movement.

After tearing the gear down at home I found that the inner working gear drive was slipping. I pulled the gear-train down and found the culprit. There are some drum/pinion gears inside the gearbox that are a press fit not welded . I took the gears apart removed the drum from the pinion and cleaned them with acetone. I then re-assembled the drum and pinions using JBweld. Now they are solid. ( Need to be very careful not to get any adhesive in holes). I have only cycled them 10-12 times since. I do believe they are now SOLID !! After putting the gear back in and cycling them the other side started doing it as well. So I pulled it down and did the same procedure on it.

I planned to write about this and the fix, so people do not get mad with Mike over its possibility. Overall an easy fix. I conclude it happening due to the vibration levels of the 85cc.

I say get the gear that they are providing with the kit they are nice and easily fixed if needed.

Yes. I use a dedicated pack and switch for them. 8.4v Nimh 1300 pack. Each complete up/down cycle is about ( Im guessing) 100-150mah draw Never went more than 4 flights between charges

Last edited by TimD.; 08-30-2016 at 02:45 PM.