RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro engine tweaking and hopups...
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 03:04 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkleLumpY
So I started with an old worn out force.28 then I dropped a hobao Mach.28 6 port into my lx2 coupled with the ofna pro tuned pipe and a pro header. I'm seeing improvement already, but like any guy, I'm on the never ending search for more power. So do the make improved button heads for engines? If so are they worth it? Also what can I do to my carb? Is there things I can do to improve the existing carb? Also I've seen "boost bottles" and from what I've read, they are a gimmick, does anybody have personal experience with boost bottles? And finally is there improved pistons out there (canted, convex, concave) things of that nature?

The main improvement for the head button would be to use a Turbo plug head in it. There are mods that can be done to change the squish band angle and shape of the bowl to optimize power, but I'd not consider this poignant in a cheap Taiwanese or Chinese engine. The most I'd do is measure the head button and find a turbo button that will fit.

Carb - measure the bore of the carb with throttle valve fully open. If it's smaller than 9mm, you could open it up to 9mm, but if the gas passage in the crankshaft is too small, it will negate opening the carb choke up.

Boost bottles are supposed to even out the transition from low power to high power (throttle) settings... I reality they don't do squat. I have an old Ron Paris Novarossi .21 5 port with a boost chamber built into the backplate. Most guys just plug the port below the carb and not use the boost chamber. Boost bottles/chambers are a gimmick. If they actually worked, they would come from the factory with one. Same goes for nitrous oxide and superchargers. All bling.

Pistons in Schnürle ported model engines are all flat topped. They are also matched to the liner. Custom Pistons can be made if you have a lathe and know what you're doing, but most often modifying the piston isn't worth much.

Burn up the engine you have and swap in a nicer engine later along with the right pipe and manifold and get ready to put that ear to ear grin on your face. If you really want some crazy grins, get the engine modified by RCU's own Supertib over at The Nitro Shop.