RCU Forums - View Single Post - *Seagull Westland Lysander*
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Destroyer of Airplanes
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today I flew her four flights. Flight one I was nose heavy, very heavy. Since I had installed 9.5 ounces of extra lead in the nose that was expected. I used all of my up trim to compensate. On flight two I removed the weight that helped still took about two thirds up trim. Upon landing she bounced a little and nosed over on her back and broke the canopy. I have a spare and will have some heavier and more scale ones pulled. I was using air filled du-bro tires at 10psi I think this added to the bouncing problem and the landing gear is far to flexible for a 26 pound plane. In' going to see if TNG will make a stiffer carbon fiber gear. My right gear strut cover was too tight and when the gear flexed it penetrated the fuselage.

The third flight I increased the up elevator to about 30 degrees up to ensure I could hold the tail down once I landed that worked fine, but not nearly that much is needed during flight. I was still a bit nose heavy so I taped 1.5 ounces of lead to the tail wheel strut. This improved things, but still nose heavy. Since I didn't have any more lead to add to the tail I will remove the little down thrust behind my motor mount. Flight four except for the amount of up trim was fine. She is quite light on the ailerons, needs a little rudder for turning and has quite pleasing flight characteristics. Several takeoffs were made with quartering cross winds with no problem the rudder us huge and very effective. Landings are slow and predictable. With full flaps you need to carry the power all the way to the ground she slows down real nice. Wheel landings or three point are easy. I didn't do any stalls or aerobatics till I get the CG issues worked out. I will publish the control throws I used here the next time I post something.

Bottom line here is this plane is a winner.