RCU Forums - View Single Post - Choice for Receiver In The Q-500 2.4Ghz Radio Systems:
Old 10-10-2016, 08:01 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the hitec receivers are only compatible with the hitec transmitter, and same for the Futaba. With a Spektrum DX7 transmitter, you'll need a Spektrum receiver.

They have a couple new ones, with built in telemetry, for fairly reasonable prices. The new AR6600T and the new AR6070T, they're like 65 bucks and 70 bucks respectively.

that being said, I've been using mostly AR8000 receivers in my race planes - that, or the AR7610. They both have the satellite receiver you mentioned.

2.4G radio signals are more easily blocked by other objects (batteries, servos..) and the Spektrum system with the satellite RX lets you mount the two in different areas in the airplane to gain some antenna diversity. The primary reason no one else is using the satellite receiver concept is the patent that Spektrum holds on it, I believe.

That being said - I know the Futaba R617 receiver is popular with the race guys, reasonably priced, and reliable - but you'd have to have a Futaba TX. Another friend of mine flies the Hitec Minima 6E or Minima 6T receivers with good results, using a module in an older JR transmitter. Another friend of mine was using the Hitec 6 channel RX with the single antenna, and had some issues with glitches / control loss, so has switched to a Spektrum DX9 and AR8000 receivers.

There's also the JR DMSS radios. JR has some nicely packaged, small, light, reasonably priced receivers with integrated telemetry functions - the 613 receiver is pretty slick, as is the 713. Two or three friends of mine have switched to the JR radio system and are using those receivers successfully, one with a JR 28X transmitter (too rich for my blood..) and a couple with the XG14 transmitter.

For the most part - whoever's transmitter you are using, you'll need receivers made to work with their particular system.