RCU Forums - View Single Post - Yak 55SP by Fly-Model 50cc
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 02:42 PM
slither

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luckymacy
I have flown this plane now with a DLE-55 and then today with the Saito FG-60. I am happy to say that the Saito has 'unlimited vertical' in that I can take off, point the nose straight up with a full tank of gas and it climbs up slowly but surely until it's a really itsy bitsy small plane and I want to stop it. It's not going to be confused as a huckin 3D plane with this engine on but it flies really good! Like a good full scale acro plane. Tracks really well. I've decided to keep the Saito on it. It flies this plane a LOT better than it did the TF p-47 Tarheel Hal. I didn't weight it yet but i'll bet it flies the Yak better because it's probably at least 5 pounds lighter if not 7 pounds lighter. The first flight with the DLE was a deadstick and it glided in effortlessly. I have the throws set up just like the manual and the CG with the DLE was 6 inches back from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage end. I didn't move the batteries so the CG with the with the Saito is going to be a littler further forward but it didn't fly like it was nose heavy. You'll be happy with the combo if you want a scale sounding and flying acro Yak.

On the ground I'm getting consistent 6300 rpm with a xoar carbon fiber 22x10 prop.

I didn't do any extra baffle work but I did open up the bottom of the cowl and I did cut open the louvers on the very bottom, left and right of the middle. After my last flight today I was about 173 Fahrenheit on the top cylinder and about 145 to 155 on the bottom two cylinders. I'm going to open up the louvers before next flight on the top left and right sides.
Great to hear of your success, Macy! I am excited to get this beast in the air. I got my servos today, and I finished moving the firewall back, last night, except for shortening the top if the engine box. I will be interested in seeing if the overall weight changed between the older and newer versions. I think this plane is fairly well built, from the air frame perspective. I am dissapointed that I an missing one of the hardware bags - the cowl mounting stuff, including those little rubber stress-relieving washers. Additionally, it looks like the gelcoat under the paint on the cowling is getting some serious cracks in it. Not sure why that would happen when it is just sitting in a box... I think I will try to run some thin CA into the crack... sound reasonable?