RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOPRC/GatorRC P-51 Mustang 89"
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 02:00 PM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
I'm back on this project after setting it aside to finish my TF Zero.

Of course mine must be different, so I did some research on the unit markings and I was really impressed. Also the original artist repainted all of his nose art back in 94, so I chose "My Achin'Back"
I did the nose art in two parts, first I separated the lady, so words, background would be on one sheet. The lady was printed on white water slide decal paper, the words and background on clear decal paper. I still need to print the "155" for the tail and the "D" for the fuselage.
You must use Micro Set and Micro Sol to apply clear decals, otherwise you will see air underneath.

I used black mixed with silver (model Masters) for the weathering. Went over the panel lines with a pencil. Model Master Aluminum is a good match for this plane. I did strip the original nose art off with PPG paint thinner because it was a bit thick and would show through the paint.

Great looking decals, I read all the posts and was convinced to invest in this model. On top, I had a deal from Tower Hobbies whereby by adding $50 worth of merchandise for a total of $1049 purchase, they gave me a $168 off coupon and free shipping - there was no way I could resist that!
Delivery is scheduled for early January so in the meanwhile I will purchase the electric retracts from Gator RC.
I plan to recover the model in real aluminum and finish it in the colors of "Hubert" - I had a foamy one from FMS and it looked great in the air.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t#post35486309

Josh