RCU Forums - View Single Post - So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...
Old 11-26-2016, 04:47 PM
paw080

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi M, my first control line model was a Wen Mac Aeromite, powered by a Baby Spitfire .045. I believe the year was 1948 or 1949..whenever they

first were produced. That was not my first semi-controlled model; just my first engine powered model. I went through a series of tether line

Monogram Speedi-Bilts and Jim Walker "74" gliders before that time. I was eight years old when I got the Wen Mac Aeromite.

That Baby Spitfire soon went into a Berkeley Mini Zilch; which was quite a thrill to fly. I had lots of experience whipping the various

Speedi-Bilt models and I sadly discovered that the "Aeromite" flew better with the engine not running than with the engine running!

The Baby Spitfire powered many other models after the Mini Zilch died; including a few Speedi-Bilts, original U/C designs, a

De Bolt "Infant Wagon" a pair of AJ Fire Babys and also a number of sport Free Flights including a Veco Dakota . I used the Baby Spitfire

all through the 1950's even though I was flying Ringmasters, Flying Clowns, PDQ Circus Kings and AJ Firecats , a Half Fast III and

some original flying wings that looked like Omegas. I became fast friends with Lee Hines in 1957 and concentrated on Indoor and

Outdoor HLG along with Gas FF, flying an AB Spacer and Lee's modified Ramrod 250 design(original by Ron St Jean).

Sorry, this was more than you asked for...

Tony