RCU Forums - View Single Post - Phil Krafts Original Ugly Stick
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 05:31 AM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I may, I'd like tor revive this thread for some reason. Ten years ago, I signed in to RCU to learn about Das Ugly Stik (hence my RCU name) and ended up here. I built simulator models of Das Ugly Stik for its 40th anniversary.

Only this year, on its 50th anniversary, I got to know George Walker, who actually was the originator of Das Ugly Stik as we know it. He confirmed what I knew so far and told me several details to add to my Das Ugly Stik history, which is well-known (as a PDF file) in the Web. I'm still working on it and hope to finish it in January.

Meanwhile I'd like to mention that excellent scans of all three plans are at Outerzone. The first two plans have been drawn by George, and now he even scanned his original vellum that was turned into the Grid Leaks plan, and his original of the Jensen kit plan. (Both are autographed.)

The following is a new scan of the well-known 1966 Grid Leaks front page showing George Walker posing with his prototype model, the first Das Ugly Stik ever. Along the way, he's advertizing the new Kraft KP-6 (on the ground). That is consequential because George did (designed) all advertizing for Kraft, also the full-page KP-6 ad at the same issue's back cover. That pertains to Das Ugly Stik because the original model had been a mere test-bed designed by Kraft in 1964 for the development of his first proportional set, the KP-4.

More to come, if you like...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GLM cover 4.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	2193215   Click image for larger version

Name:	GLM KP-6 ad.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	2193216