RCU Forums - View Single Post - Design KI1603 X-WRAE
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 02:32 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mgnostic
Hmm. Flight dynamics would probably be like a canard or tandem wing.
Don't know. Could think that I know just enough to get me into trouble. Was thinking more along the lines of a flying wing or disk - like those novelty airplanes (flying stop sign, Rountuit, flying lawnmower, etc.) Then, I thought about layout being similar in some ways to a conventional airplane - thinking way-forward swept wing here...

What I do know was that a simple duration and distance balsa glider I put together at a club organized building contest flew well enough for me to keep it over the years (I know you wouldn't want to use such a design that wasn't proven if you wanted to win such a competition but I just wanted to do something different from everyone else...). The pic shows it at half it's original length - it once had an aft stick fuse and "H" style tail I believe. After the aft fuse broke off, I removed some nose weight and found it flew almost as well (it will not track well if imparted with a yaw while launching). It does have dihedral that may account for stability which I won't be able to use in my target design. The B-24 Liberator inspired tail was added back to the tail end of the target design to provide yaw stability while maintaining durability.

For my glide tests, I have found that the CG is located just forward of the intersection of the "X" planform on both the balsa and FFF glider.

I'm guessing from a design standpoint that a general rule of thumb is to provide controllability where there is the most mechanical advantage. Based on some quick "hack glide tests" using masking tape pieces as control surfaces, I'm thinking pitch control on aft two legs and roll control on fwd two legs of the X-wing planform. May not work but that's what I'm thinking.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3233.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2197022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3228.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2197023