RCU Forums - View Single Post - Status of JR Propo ?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 12:37 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

There is a problem with all hobby business, the truth on all these things is different to what is really seen to be going on. We have quite a few businesses in the UK who 'talk' up their booming business, small chap syndrome ;-) and different circumstances mean the truth is completely different.
All radio manufacturers will be worried, sit down and think what today's world means.
1. Radios last much longer without the need to upgrade the sets-as said already, I think any new quality Tx should give 5-10 years service, so like many, I have a 28X that I would expect to get me to 2025...will we be flying jets then...no one knows.
2 'drones' have caused most of the issues...they have taken people away from many aspects of the hobby that were money making, mainly helicopters (big thing for JR) where the sales of spare parts kept many hobby companies wholesale and retail in business. Now 3-D quads exist people have moved on to those, cheap and easy to repair, $20 repair rather than a $200 helicopter crash-it does not take a business brain to see that hurts. Then ALL the radio people who had a share of the helicopter (and other disciplines) market are no longer selling Tx's as drones come with a unit. Massive reduction in sales...
Things are changing, HH are making big changes here in the UK...Other US companies have closed their European bases too.
I don't think more than a handful of people really know what JR's situation is now, and no one long term. We don't know what will happen to many aspects of life-BUT, JR is the top brand in many ways, so if the hobby continues, the product will continue too. Updates will be slow-last thing for sure, they need to get product moving again, but I have no operating issues with any of my JR radios, so I'm not worried about that, they can come. The manufacturing side of JR's many product ranges all look pretty healthy, they used many plants for all the bits required in each product line, these guys are all still running the same way.
Service back up, Rx's and servos are what I need to see, the JR people in the UK are sitting on a lot of stock value of radios, yet they stopped selling them as they want Rx supply to back up any sales. I've sold new radios this week to people who feel comfortable with a long term JR future...

DW