RCU Forums - View Single Post - Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum
Old 02-03-2017, 04:07 AM
oops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

First, my apologies to anyone who doesn't like seeing really old threads returned. It was around 2005 when I last posted, and after the controversy of the 32mm chord clip, I wandered off and forgot about the forum ( I was the original proposer of cutting the Walkera thick blades down to 32mm chord, which allowed FFF, improved handling and eliminated stability problems at the time ). It was so long ago, I kind of forgot how much effort I was putting into these things at the time.

Anyway, I was cleaning up, and the #4 was sitting on the shelf, and I thought, I wonder if it still works? Plugged it into a battery the wrong way around and promptly fried it, with big flames. Shelved it and got ready to chuck it, while deciding I still wanted a small heli around the place in case I wanted some fun. Built up a Century pro CP, but missed the old Walkera 4. And by the time I built a new heli, I had a complete set of equipment left over and a broken #4.

So I pulled it apart, removed the scorched board, rebuild with some FETs out of a laptop carcass and repaired it. The skids are missing, the tail boom is cracked and twisted, and the blades well worn ( I never broke another set of blades after the 32mm mod ) - but, damn, it flew... Straight up into a good hover, in wind, with some dodgy servo's I was about to chuck and although the trim was messed up, it flew nicely and very stable.

I was wondering if anyone still had their Walkera #4's and took them down to fly once in a while?

Regards
David.