RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redcat Racing Volcano Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 09:30 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Geminii23
Hey RustyUs,

Thanks. I was at a Hobbyshop this weekend and they recommended a 3000KV or 3300kv, but if I wanted to keep using my Nihm batteries, I would need to get an adapter for Redcat barrel connector.

Here are two motors I found on Amazon. Wasn't sure if either of these would work with my existing Nihm batteries. Ideally I would want to upgrade all three of our redcat trucks, so not looking to break the bank.

You think these would work ok?

https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Sensor...3656+brushless

https://www.amazon.com/SkyQ-Racing-B...ss+motor&psc=1
It's funny you linked that GoolRC combo. I was gonna suggest this one...HERE. Just note that the motor shaft is 5mm and would mean looking for pinion gears to fit.

The GoolRC combo you linked should be fine. I will note that you may or may not be able to use the ESC with NiMh batteries without setting up the ESC for NiMh use (requires card). There is this combo that has programming card as part of the combo.

The second combo that you linked I would not bother with. Not for a 4wd monster truck anyway. If it was a genuine HobbyWing motor, then that blue finned motor would be okay for a lighter 4wd RC.

Just do some research and look at the reviews before going super low budget on anything. If I had to straight out recommend anything to someone upgrading their RCs, it would be HobbyWing, Castle Creations, or Speed Passion combos. There is something to paying a premium price ("get what you pay for") and to have a better quality product. I have used those same no-name/re-branded motors with good success, and I totally get the lure of low dollar combos. To me, it's a hit or miss issue sometimes. Using the super low budget "stuff", and during moderate power..."stuff" usually works well.

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-12-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added link