RCU Forums - View Single Post - If only one saw for scratch/plans building, BAND or SCROLL... which one to go with
Old 02-19-2017, 09:59 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Do you have a variable speed scroll saw? Mine has a speed control and it works well at slower speeds when cutting ply or balsa. When I crank it up, however, it's a bench shaker that knocks over almost everything sitting on the bench
Yes, it is an older Ryobi model with the variable speed. What it lacks is the geometry of the arms where the blade advances into the cut on the down stroke and retreats on the up stroke. Having the arms that form the "bow" sit at a suitable angle to act in that manner seems to be a feature found only on the higher end saws or by accident on the lower price saws.

I do use it at some lower speed to limit the vibration but mostly it's the way it tries to lift the work off the table with every stroke that makes me prefer my bandsaw. Working with the band saw requires so much less pressure on the work that when it's all in tune it feels almost like working with a laser.

I have used a top notch well tuned up scroll saw way back when while at a wood working show that had all the "right stuff". it was VERRRRRY NIIIICE ! ! ! And I'd happily use something like that. But few of us are willing to pay the cost of such units. At the time some 20 years ago that particular saw was over $1500. Meanwhile back at the rank and file end of reality between similar cost scroll and band saws my own feeling is that I'd take the band saw every time.

For internal cuts I'd either use the cut then repair idea mentioned earlier to get the blade into the internal area. Or in my case I'd pull out and use my scroll saw. Or if it were only one item I might just drill a hole and use my hand operated coping saw and bird's mouth board held in my vise.

I've tried to give the scroll saw a fair shake over the years. Even bought some Olson blades for it a year ago. That all helped a lot. But in the end I just find it easier to like my bandsaw over the scroll saw.