RCU Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed in restoring a Dirty Birdi 40
Old 02-20-2017, 08:17 PM
lamarkeiko
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David, thanks for the very detailed reply. I really like the idea of not having a hatch on the bottom of the wing for a retract servo. The single servo per retract like the photo you attached is the most appealing to me. Looking at my previous posted photo of the front retract, do you think there will be plenty of room for a servo there? I looked at the Hobbico retract set that Ken mentioned, and they do look like the mechanical part will be more compact and take up less space.

I'll go with one servo per aileron on the wing. I've always done them that way on my kit builds. Easy to do, and the Tactic TSX25's sound real good. High torque and digital at a reasonable price. Are those the ones you would use for the single servo retracts? How much torque do I need for the retracts?

I removed the retracts today, and I wouldn't want to reuse the mains. The nose retract seems to work fine, but I am concerned about room for a servo mounting in that space to operate the retract.

As I remove parts from this plane, I'm starting to get real motivated in doing the restore. This plane is really built solid. Comparing it to the ARF's we get today where you have to be very careful as to where and how you pick them up for fear of breaking something the DB is built like a tank.

Lamar