RCU Forums - View Single Post - YS user seeking sympathetic ears :(
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 07:18 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brett....because there is wear on the rocker as you mentioned....I never used a gauge to set the valve lash....I always set them by feel.....just a very small movement.
Using a gauge always results in the lash being too loose due to the dimple(s) in the rocker arm.
Rich Verano mentioned this to me years ago when we started using 4 strokes.
That's right about the disc clearance....wash it in lacquer thinner to cut the oil and there should not be any wobble.
Turning the disc should be dead free without any oil drag. If you feel any snags as it turns look for any rough spots or grooves on the backplate.
Using two .001" or .025mm feeler gauge under the disc 180 degrees from each other should be a fairly tight fit.
Using two gauges will remove any wobble and give a good indication of the real clearance.
If you have to reset this clearance....remove the disc and true the aluminum face on glass with some 600 grit with oil....then reset everything.

edit...I just remembered....
Look closely up into the plug cap.....there is a spring in there that the center conductor of the spark cable should be inserted.
Make sure that it is fully inserted into the side of that spring or misfire definitely will occur.
This was a major problem with the first version of the sparkbox but I would check it regardless which box you have.

Last edited by Dave Harmon; 03-17-2017 at 07:22 AM.