RCU Forums - View Single Post - Picnic Quads - Great experience
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 07:46 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picnic Quads - Great experience

I've wanted to start messing around with flight controllers and multi-rotors, with intent of building my own hexa or octo for professional work. I decided on a crawl, walk, run approach, that is starting with something small, with intent on moving to bigger and more complex. In doing so, I searched for a good micro to start, which would also be indoor capable (rotten weather in PA this year), as well as being robust enough to handle outdoor in winds too much for my NanoQX. o

So I settled on Picnic Quads and I want to give Dave Woods a shout out. I contacted him about something that I could use indoors and have good performance on some 500mAh 1S batteries that I also use in my 180QX. Bottom line: It flies awesome, with lots of power.

Like many, I'm forced to research, learn, and buy on the internet due to a weak LHS. So for those out there who are looking to take the plunge, or those who simply want to know a build that "works," here's my Bill of Materials. Everything except the thread protectors (Lowes) and Afunta package (Amazon) came from Dave. Total as configured below ($95.99)

This was my first experience with CleanFlight, programming, etc. It flies great. As I'm a Spektrum guy, I also appreciate the built in receiver on the SciSky/Quanum. If anyone is interested in my config file, shoot me a PM and I'm happy to share. Super stable with Naze32 FC and software.

BOM:
Proximity 92 CF/Birch Frame: $8.10 (1)
8.5mm Wide arm motor mounts: $5.16 (6 total, two spares)
Quanum 32 "Scisky": $35.00 (1)
Micro JST connector: $0.90
Surface Mount Motor Plugs: $2.00
Assembly Only: $4.00
Brushed Micro Motors: CL-0820-17: $31.00 (4 total)
3/8 Thread Protectors: $1.84 (2 packs of 3 at Lowes)
AFUNTA Propeller Blades Protection Guard Cover & Props 5x sets for Hubsan X4 – Black / Red $7.99 (1 from Amazon)

As built specs:

Weight no battery: 38g
Weight eFlite 500: 52g
Weight Turnigy 600: 54g
Prop size: 55mm
Diag shaft to shaft: 92mm
Length & Width: 130mm
Diag w/ prop guard: 160mm

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picnic Quad.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	2.15 MB