RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building the Mick Reeves Hawker Hunter
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2003, 11:11 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building the Mick Reeves Hawker Hunter

Last week I started builing the Mick Reeves 1/6 scale Hawker Hunter.

I got kit # 1, and Mick told me this morning that he has sold 14 kits so far - so if any of you out there are building this kit too, feel free to share!

I've spent about 10 to 12 hours on the kit so far, and already have the wings framed up ready for skinning with proskin, plus the fuselage repaired where some shipping damage occured, and I have just started working on the fuselage formers.

I have some pics that I will post later, and I'll probably do a high-level overview of the construction here. I won't be doing a detailed build-log like I did for the Super Bandit several months ago. That one took a substantial amount of time to do (probably 60+ hours), and it got lost in the shuffle when we moved to the new RCU, so I really can't justify spending that much time doing that kind of thing here again without having control over its lifespan.

What I think I will do, is put together a Word doc explaining the build process, showing photos of areas not covered in the manual, pointing out some minor mistakes (it is kit #1 after all), and detailing additional info that I glean from conversations with Mick during the build. I'll then make that doc available to any of you who are building the kit.

Note that this may be a disjointed build. I had originally planned that my next building task was to be replacement wings for my Super Bandit. However, since I'm now in my third month of waiting for the wing parts, I gave up on that for the time being and that's why I started the Hunter last week. Depending on how things go, I may choose to swap over to the Super Bandit again if the wing parts for it arrive ; also, I have not yet decided just how much time I want to spend on detailing this model. So, please have patience if you do ask for Hunter build info from me - it may come in disjointed spurts.

Later,
Gordon

BTW, Dave Platt's "The Jetset" video collection also deals with building a Hawker Hunter - his onw one, rather than Mick's kit, but nevertheless it is a perhaps worth a look for anyone building this kit - the section on cockpit detail is pretty good.

[edit: typo]