RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Plug and Mold - Please provide any advice.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:19 PM
jefff
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make my molds similar to ibuild. My molds are two pieces with a parting board at the split line. Once I have the parting board in place I wax and PVA the plug and parting board. Then I mix up epoxy and West Systems Colloidal Silica to a peanut butter thickness. I use a cake decorating through away bag to fillet the corners ware the cloth will not go. Then mix up a surface coat with carbon power so it will stay on the vertical sides. I let this setup until it becomes tacky and does not come of on my finger. Then recoat with epoxy and apply the cloth, 1- 4oz, 2- 6oz. let set up again. This is where I differ I use a layer of Coremat core material cut in strips. Then 1- 6oz and 2 layers of 8oz crowfoot cloth.
Laying up the part is similar. I will use some color pigment for the surface coat. 1- 4oz, 1- 6oz cloth then in areas additional glass cloth, carbon fiber, Cormat or Divenacell core material. I never had a part stick in the mold. I have only made two fuel tanks before I started my A10. I just finished laying up the front half of the fuselage. The fuselage, nacelles and wheel covers are done.