RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Plug and Mold - Please provide any advice.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:38 AM
boater
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually do repairs to my epoxy molds by 1. clean with acetone, 2. clean with soap 3. clean with acetone again 4 sand the problem area (even dremel out any bubbles or where you can't get sanpaper)5 apply epoxy and thickener to any divots or small problem areas (I am talking about small little problems, not resuracing the entire mold) attempting to make level 6. cure 7. sand with fine grit to level 8 sand with finer grit 9. wax and PVA. Low spots in the mold will be high spots in the part.They can be sanded down before priming the part. Your mold doesn't need to have a perfect surface finish. Being too perfectionist when beginning will drive you nuts. Learn from your mistakes and go on. It's gonna take a few times around the block before you work all the bugs out. Being too cheap can drive you nuts. Been said before and I'll say it again, wax AND PVA works for beginners, some people can make only wax work, some people can make semipermanents work, beginners can't seem to get good results with any thing but wax AND PVA.

Last edited by boater; 04-13-2017 at 11:51 AM.