RCU Forums - View Single Post - You win some and you lose some
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 01:56 PM
rawk crawler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You win some and you lose some

I went to a big box hardware store today to check out their selection of toy grade rc products and picked up a Maisto Desert Rebel 1:10 scale off road truck with the VW body. It was on "sale" for $39.99 marked down from $79.99.

Sadly I never got to try it out since it didn't even work once I installed fresh batteries into both the truck (6AA) and very crappy controller (2AAA). The controller didn't even have an on/off switch or light. I did like the instructions said turned on the truck and...nothing. Now...I have to admit I am not surprised since the thing was very cheaply made but it did look cool. It wasn't even 4WD. I'd be afraid to even run it outdoors and I am sure an 8 year old kid would destroy it. The 2WD Nikko H2 I found at the thrift store for $8 is a much better built vehicle even though it's all plastic except the suspension springs. It actually has better potential for a future upgrade. I wouldn't hesitate to use it outdoors for some light offroading. If only I could find a matching controller for it I wouldn't need to change the electronics and servo. In fact after comparing it's size to the Maisto I am sure the thrift store Nikko is a 1:10 scale and not 1:12 like I originally thought since it was basically the same size as the Maisto. The Nikko is pretty large scale wise.

Needless to say I returned the Desert Rebel and got my money back. I am actually glad it didn't work. I don't think it would've lasted long.

Last edited by rawk crawler; 04-24-2017 at 02:00 PM.