RCU Forums - View Single Post - Making a Wing Spar
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 10:35 AM
ibuild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It have been in the vacuum bag for 48hours now and the last 24hours it have been between 35 to 40 degrees Celsius in my workshop so I have taken it out of the bag and I will just let it be for some more time before I pull out the sparcaps. The vacuum is only strictly needed until the epoxy have become plastic for perhaps 6 to 12 hours depending on the epoxy, the rest of the time I usually have the vacuum applied for the workpiece to be kept in place in the mold or perhaps on a glass plate so that it can not twist or move while the epoxy fully hardens.

Even though I have done this quite a few times there is still things that can go wrong, the peelply around the foam pieces that compresses the tow was a little too widely cut as you can see on the pictures in the last post the edges rises above the foam pieces and bridging could occur. Bridging in this context is that the excessive peelply edges might get trapped between the bag and the mold when the vacuum is applied in a way so that it cannot move along with the foam pieces down in to the mold, the result could be something like a tilted or curved top surface of the sparcaps. It is always exiting to see how it turns out when it's time to pull the part, it just never gets boring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0054.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	2213304Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0055.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	2213305

Last edited by ibuild; 05-27-2017 at 08:05 AM.