RCU Forums - View Single Post - YS user seeking sympathetic ears :(
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 04:54 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bjr_93tz
I wouldn't expect much change in 500 ft, 1. otherwise we'd be running in-flight mixture control for anything above 1/2 box height.

2.The type of change I'm referring to is dropping 1500 ft, starting up in the morning cold and having your engine hesitating a bit on throttle up. Just enough to be noticeable and have you reaching for the screwdriver with one hand while crossing your fingers with the other, hoping that it might just go away when the engine warms up a bit more so you won't have to touch the regulator.

That being said, I haven't been able to get to a sea level field since I've sorted the engine, so the mixture may be more flexible than what it used to be.
1. Only if you are right on the edge. Run it a bit rich and a 500 ft drop won't matter.

2. Me too . If you drop 1500ft, just wind the reg in 1/8th and the needle out 1/4 and it should be pretty close.

I never adjust anything when the engine is cold, or open the throttle immediately after start up anytime. Let it idle for a bit to allow the pump to get to correct pressure, then gradually open the throttle. I find that it usually takes one flight for everything to settle down for optimum running. After that first flight, there's no need to even run the engine up before the next flight. CDI is different to glow. Start up, let it idle, put it on the strip and go.