RCU Forums - View Single Post - ratio question
Thread: ratio question
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 06:30 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ibuild. I will design, think about, draw, test, think about, think about, forget, try to forget, think about, then say what the heck. I am lucky in that I grew up BUILDING planes. It was way before ARF's. To me, once I put knife to balsa, it is GAME ON!!!. I really hate wasting balsa, so if I cut it, I will build it.

I have a 50% wanderer, couple stick and tissue style planes, a 50" rubber powered Taylor craft I used a 10 gram electric motor, 2s lipo. Weights in at 5 1/2 ounces ready to fly. I have been building smaller planes as I have not been able to get into the garage. Back problems have kept me away from my bench. I had to build something small enough to fit on my desk in the back room. Built a bunch of foamies, simple easy planes. Just to keep my mind going. I have hated not creating anything in way to many years. This started as an idea for building a straight winged wanderer. Well if I do that, I may as well make it different in some way. I have a 1/2 sized one, why not make a 2 times one?

I have been kicking this idea around for a couple years. Just a thought here and there. I may clean the bench next weekend or I may never build it. If nothing else I have learned the V tail should be around 110 degrees, the Orion has a tail 106 degrees. I am not looking for a contest plane, rather just something to lean back in the chair, fly by trims. Just a floater. I have the fast planes and helicopters if I want to raise my blood pressure.

I figure this would give me a little practice back into molding with carbon and glass. I have not molded anything in 5 or 6 years. So I could use a simple project to get back into it.

I have the vacuum setup and never got a chance to use it. Plus I have all the stuff on hand to build a vacuum molder. Was thinking of using ABS plastic for the pod, fishing rod blank for the fuse, foam core balsa sheet-ed wings.

I just have to throw a lot of junk away and get into the garage and start making some balsa dust.

If or when I start, I will have a build thread.

Thanks.

Buzz.