RCU Forums - View Single Post - Micro Models "Mercury"
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 10:31 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks for the compliment. I got to put in a couple of flights yesterday in the calm just before sunset. I got the radio issues settled. I didn't have the elevator servo plugged in properly. The motor is a small out runner turning a 7 inch slow flyer prop. Even that is probably more power than it needs. The climb is very rapid. The next step will be to add some down thrust. I haven't checked the battery yet to see how many milliamps I burned but most of the flight was at 1/3 throttle. The size of the prop seems to have a pretty significant impact. Under power it turns to the right much easier than to the left. Using rudder only it will roll smartly to the right but hardly any at all to the left. A smaller prop on a higher KV motor would probably tame this and give a more prototypical flight. Since I'm not pushing the motor or speed controller at all I may just try a smaller prop and see where it goes. The plans only show the free flight version but converting to R/C was pretty straight forward with adding a battery box and building some control surfaces being the only major changes. Old timer models like this are a pretty easy build. I spent more time on the doped covering that you would with an iron on covering but not by much and I find that it is no more difficult and it seems to be more small model friendly.