RCU Forums - View Single Post - Reaction 54 Jet Kit
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 04:56 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another perspective on the flaps / speedbrakes / airspeed / AOA / throttle discussion. USN carrier jets fly back side of the power curve on approach, full flaps, speedbrakes out. Pitch controls airspeed and throttle rate of decent. You're higher on the throttle in this kind of approach, which means faster spool up and immediate excess power when you retract speed brakes. On missed approach / touch-n-go / bolter, it's full throttle and retract speedbrakes only ... no change to flaps or gear position (limit configuration changes in landing pattern, less complexity, fewer trim changes, easier to focus on setting up for solid next approach).

Now that I'm retired, I fly light civil only these days, but I still fly approaches the same way. I've never been a fan of multiple flap position changes in the pattern. I decide the flaps appropriate for the situation, set them on downwind, then fly the entire pattern to touchdown on one flap setting. Fewer trim changes and it allows me to focus on a good stable approach. If I end up on final and have too much flap, I go around and reset and retrim on downwind.

Last edited by franklin_m; 07-27-2017 at 04:59 AM.