RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito 1.25 from glow to gas
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 02:46 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aa5b??

Looks great! I would love to see/hear a video of that engine running. Does it have a slightly more "throaty" sound on gas? Re- your 1.25, you might try experimenting with both compression AND ignition timing. Backing off the timing a bit might let you run the higher compression without getting into detonation, but with possibly less loss of power. And I assume you are running premium gas. I hesitate recommending trying 100LL Avgas due to the distinct possibility of lead fouling the valves. Do you have temperature telemetry? If not, you might invest in one of those inexpensive recording temperature units. Detonation causes CHT's to skyrocket and monitoring them would be a good tool in your experiments. Like you, I hate leaving any power "on the table" as they say.

Man, I just happened to take real notice of your AA5B(y) "handle". That is one of my favorite airplanes of all time, and I have hundreds of hours of great flying time and adventures in them. I also used to pick them up at the Grumman factory in Georgia, and ferry them to Tucson, Az. Great times, great memories. Do you get many comments on your handle? I imagine not many would recognize it, like I didn't 'till just now.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 07-29-2017 at 05:01 PM.