RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 03:48 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nicely done Steve!
Steve's drawing represents a setup I've been talking about for several years now. It's light, simple, inexpensive, offers twice the amperage capability to the entire flight pack over what a single switch system offers, and complete power redundancy from the battery to the receiver. A bonus for those flying acrobatics requiring heavy use of the rudder, is that the rudder, when wired per drawing, has a direct feed from the battery, without having to go through the receiver.

I also agree with his thoughts regarding the LiFe battery technology. They seem to be doing REALLY well, especially when compared to NiMh.

LiFe batteries are capable of delivering incredible amperage - enough where a single switch becomes a choke point in a high performance system using digital servos. In a plane the size of a Giant Sportster, or really any plane flown hard that's equipped with digital servos (even 20cc stuff!), the servos are often capable of pulling so much power that voltage to the receiver may drop enough where the receiver drops off line - with predictable results (this varies by receiver, some are more prone than others). The double switch/LiFe plan pretty much eliminates that potential. That was my original reason for going with this setup. After going this way, "bonuses" kept popping up as I realized just what it's capable of when wired per the diagram.

As far as the necessity of providing the ign. module with a stand alone battery pack, go for it if it lets you sleep well. Just know MANY are using the same battery the receiver is using - without incident. There have not been ANY reports of problems using that method. -Al

Last edited by ahicks; 08-05-2017 at 10:43 AM.