RCU Forums - View Single Post - Diesel engines, electric starters an old men!
Old 08-06-2017, 10:07 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starters and Diesels

Franchi, I have been told and also read only use starters on engines with ball bearings. I may be younger than only 77 you but have a bad right shoulder. I can not raise my right hand to the side or over head but can still start a diesel by hand. All the way from .020 to .75 FS Laser. Can be difficult on a cold day with a fixed compression Drone but not difficult when temp above 40 degree F. I have no Davis conversions. The Laser .75 has a ringed piston and instructions said to use a starter. I did at first but find it starts very easy by hand. An Enya .41 FS diesel takes from 8 to 20 prop flips to start by hand following the instructions that came with the engine. I had many runs on this engine before using a starter which I have done on a couple occasions. I have a couple MVVS 10 cc diesels. I have been told cranks on these can break using a starter. I also have a couple MVVS 2.5 cc diesels. Never used a starter on these. Many PAW diesels over the decades. Webra 2.5 cc Mach II and Super Tigre diesels from the 1950's and early 1960's. Plus an O.S. 2.5 cc diesel from the late 1950's All started with out starters. Some like a couple drops of fuel down the carb. Others a couple drops against a piston closed. Some a bit more compression to start and others a bit less. Small diesels can be a bit more difficult starting and may need extra ether. As I get older a bit slow spinning small props on .020 or smaller diesels. But no problem with the larger ones. Jack Hiner in North Illinois.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Airborn 810 GB 5.4 cc Diesel.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2227090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Laser .75 FS Diesel 1600 Airborn.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2227091   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAW .40 Diesel Airborn 1600.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	589.0 KB