RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
I have it setup as two independent systems. One battery for the ignition, the other for the receiver. If I have a deadstick, I've got plenty of practice at that, and I'm not going to worry about that. Losing power to the Rx shouldn't occur, I check that battery every flight. Flawed thinking? My ears are open. I studied your diagram for a two battery system. The most flights I've ever gotten in one day only amounted to 5. I do utilize a DLE Engines Opto Gas Engine Kill Switch (RCEXL)
Your system will work okay. You just don't have any backup for the RX system when something does fail. The flights per day does not enter into it, unless the number of flights is zero.

Since you already have two batteries, your system can easily be changed to give you almost double the reliability, with very little effort and only a couple of dollars for a Y connector.

Don't confuse "reliability" with "life expectancy." When you say "Losing power to the Rx shouldn't occur"; I agree, but stuff fails. The two highest times for failures are when things are new and when things are old. A dual system takes care of those two times.

I quit using the Opto Kill Switch a few years ago due to failures. I see about five failures a year at our club. The good part is they hardly ever fail in flight. They just cause a lot of heartburn when trying to restart the engine since they are the last thing people check.

Last edited by Joystick TX; 08-06-2017 at 06:46 PM.