RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie hello
Thread: Newbie hello
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 02:16 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joelomunro
Gday fellas, I'm fairly new around here, and certainly new to the world of compression ignition engines. I live in NSW Australia and have been fooling around with R/C planes and boats on and off for a fair while, but have only just recently decided to give diesels a go out of pure curiosity. I picked up a very nice condition PAW 2.49 (early model with the vertical Venturi) and have a PAW 100 on its way also. Now to the crux of things... I'd really like to run them, on my test stand if nothing else, but sourcing fuel or it's components has proven a fruitless search to date. What do the Aussies on this forum do for juice?? My local model shop, in Fyshwick, hasn't got any and apparently Terry has been rationing out the last of his fuel lately, so it looks like that is a dead end. I'm prepared to mix my own if I can source ether, and would go down the path of draining John Deere starter fluid cans if I could find them. I'll also make some calls tomorrow to see if a lab supplies place still keeps any, but other than that I'm outta ideas. Anyhow thanks for any help that may be forthcoming.

Cheers
Joel
G'day Joe,

Solvent grade Diethyl Ether isn't a problem on the East Coast. We have a regular supply at reasonable prices. Do you visit Sydney at all? It might also be possible for you to get it from a control line flyer in Canberra or there's the annual "Oily hand" get together weekend at Cowra at the end of August. Most of the engines there will be diesels and there should be plenty of the stuff available.

Regards Ray

Last edited by qazimoto; 08-07-2017 at 02:23 AM.