RCU Forums - View Single Post - New no ether diesel fuel = WD 40
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 06:25 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grant-RCU
I have read that WD 40 works just as good as starting fluid in a full size diesel. I decided to test this with my PAW 06. I mixed 50/50 30 weight motor oil and WD 40. The engine started right up with an mini electric starter and ran well at WOT. I did not have any success trying to get it to throttle down however it ran well in a no rc setting.

I also made a batch of 1 part 30 weight motor oil, 1 part lamp oil and 1 part WD 40. Still works well.

I could get it to idle down pretty well backing of the compression screw. This seemed to work better with the WD40 fuel. WD 40 smells like kerosene burning.

I have a few videos however I am trying to find a free app to edit them for U tube.

Grant
Yep, various people have discovered that their diesel engine will run with Etherless fuel over the years. The engine usually doesn't last too long on these concoctions. Broken crankshafts, crankpins and even split crankcases around the main bearing usually is the result. Trouble is that you have to increase the compression beyond "normal" settings to get ignition. Fortunately PAW spares are still available.

Last edited by qazimoto; 08-09-2017 at 04:43 AM.