RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/8th Scale Hydroplane Build
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, now that it's been almost four months, I figure it's time for an update.
Between work and other "required" activities, the boats have had very little done on them. The Pak now has both nontrips, the side panels aft of the sponson transoms, installed. I've also started to rework the air traps and sponson bottoms to match the full sized boat's left sponson. I could not use the right sponson's measurements since it was replaced after an accident in Mexico in 1981 with a different design made from fiberglass so using it isn't an option. To take it one step further, when Ron Jones replaced the right sponson, he made it four inches wider than the left, mostly for aerodynamic reasons.
As for the gas Madison, I've epoxied in the engine bay walls and the relocated firewall. The engine bay walls have been modified to their actual appearance as I've removed the plywood where the flashpans will go and have started laying out where to glue the plywood that will make the flash pans. This will be a modification I'll be making on the Pak as well since I've layed out where the firewall will be going and now have a general idea where the flash pans will go. The part that makes the flash pans difficult is that they are twisted. The front of the pans have a flat bottom, the rear is twisted to 45 degrees due to the depth of the pan's inboard edge as the bottom is almost parallel with the bottom of the boat.