RCU Forums - View Single Post - Making Nitro Fuel at Home?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 11:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickitSAM
I have read a few threads about making your own fuel for you Nitro RC car:
1. What's right amount of castor oil to use in the fuel, 12%?
I use 10-12% total oil content in car fuel; I use a 60%/40% blend of castor/synthetic respectively.
2. Can you use synthetic oils? I have seen people saying they have but which brand-which type
Yes you can - and probably should use at least some synthetic oil. It keeps the varnish buildup under control. I use Klotz Techniplate because it's cheap enough and available locally. I believe it's PN is KL-200.
3. Does it really require Nitro, people say they don't use nitro and just methane and it works fine for them or is that just for Planes-Heli's
Nitromethane is not required, but makes the engine much more responsive and easier to tune. Methane is a gas (unless compressed) and as such cannot be used in a liquid fuel. Pure Nitromethane can be obtained from Torco through eBay or Amazon for around $50/gal. This is how I buy it.
4. Where do you find the stuff to make the fuel? your local auto store or a chemical plant
I buy methanol from a local oil company that sells racing fuels. It costs around $3/gal depending on the time of year. I get Klotz synthetic oil from a local go-kart shop for about $12/quart. Castor I've gotten from SPLUBE.com for $25/gal, and more recently $17/gal at BulkApothecary.com. Nitromethane as mentioned above - $50/gal from Torco through eBay or Amazon. High cost for the bulk of the materials, but my per gallon cost for car fuel is $15-20/gal versus $38/gal from the Hobby shop.
5. Finally, is it worth it, I have a TRX 3.3 and CN-16 engines and I want to save some money of fuel
For me, it's beyond worth it to mix my own fuel. I save huge $$$. I spend less than $100 annually on fuel which is roughly 5-8 gallons of fuel. Figure the cost of 5 gallons of fuel at $38/gal plus tax for Hobby shop fuel! If your Hobby shop fuel is significantly cheaper than my shops, then it may not be worth it to blend your own.

Reaponses in red.