RCU Forums - View Single Post - CY Model P-51D Mustang 2.4M - 85cc
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 07:44 AM
Quandry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got a few things done on the P51 over the weekend.

CY provide plastic inserts for the wheel wells but I found they were not an easy fit. Would require a lot of glue and fiddly work so instead I sealed the wood (using sand and seal) and sprayed in Satin black. I also sealed the inside accessory tray and painted it silver (forgot the pic sorry)

Plastic cover to mask overspray and tamiya tape for clean lines

The sand and seal gives a nice surface for the paint to go on. Actually satin black is the ideal colour here because it's completely like putting a black hole in there - no way to reflect light (and imperfections) out!

Retract in situ, I also drilled the wheel hub a little to get it running nice and freely. It will help against nose overs (hopefully!). Theres a few errant black lines from the masking tape, I landed up going around these with a detail brush and silver paint and it looks much better now than what it does in the pic.

I also used sand n seal on the inside accessory tray, and then gave that the brushed aluminium treatment. I'm not a big fan of painting the whole inside of the model but likewise I don't like wood easilly visible so just went for it. Will have to take a photo next time though, forgot to grab one!

So the next job should be to makeup a custom mount for the rudder servo, BUT... I am going to Jetpower show on Friday and there's a chance they might have pilot busts there so tonight I hope to trim the canopy sit it in place and take a measurement of what size pilot I need.