RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kressline f5 D/F jet
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 07:50 AM
ron Sweeney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=john491;12366718]You have the same problem I had. The prints are wrong on the gear location which stopped me from my build. If you have the same cores I have the gear cut out is in front of the spar cutout. The F-5 gear retracts into the belly of the plane not the wing. The CG is just about in the wheel cutout location.
I cheated and found a plan view of the F-5E on Motion RC in the building instructions manual on the last page. If you do a proportional measurement you can get the CG from that. I have not calculated where that is on the core yet as we have a small bit of weather here in Florida we are dealing with. If I still have a house left on Tuesday I will do some calculations and transfer the result to the plans and post them. I suspect the CG from the Motion RC F-5 will be close as I have searched and found no complaints on the CG posted.

John, many thanks for your reply, I thought something looked a bit wrong. Using the gear position it is logical that the balance point is in front of the wheel pivot this appears to be very far forward aerodynamically. I haven't got the foam cores out of the loft so I haven't referenced them yet. I bought this kit at jets over Deland in 1992 when a gang of us Europeans visited. There were so many issues that I put it to one side but at 75 I am now catching up on my 'bucket' list. I have started installing a Wren 44 down one side of the model with the thrust tube exiting only one of the rear thrust outlets, that's complete. I have always been put off by the oversize, non scale intakes, so I have started reducing the intake area. I have completed one side today and it looks more like an F5 now. I fly (amongst others) two BVM mavericks both with Wren turbines. I hope you can dig out the info' you mentioned. My back stop position was the Thorpe brothers F20 which I have built twice. We have all been following your horrendous weather issues on every news bulletin and you have all our best wishes. Ron.

Last edited by ron Sweeney; 09-11-2017 at 07:53 AM. Reason: additional information