RCU Forums - View Single Post - Piper Cub - Great Planes maybe?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 AM
flying_lion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 52larry52
flying lion, Cubcrasher used terms like "burn pile" and "pos", and when I read that I went "OHHHH that's harsh, true but harsh"! That's "tough love". IMHO I would put this plane in the "good restoration candidate" category. Your assessment of "just needing a cowl, landing gear and wing struts" is way short of reality. I would make this a complete restoration, striping all the covering, repairing and regluing the airframe as needed, then completing the reassembly with new servos and linkage, maybe hinges, fuel tank, 2.4 RX and 6.0v battery, fiberglass cowl, covering of your choice, your rebuilt Saito, ETC. To just patch it and try to fly it is the wrong way to go. You didn't ask but that's just my opinion of what to do with this Cub. I wouldn't trash it, I would go the long haul and fix (restore) it right. Remember, "you can never have too many Cubs"!
I welcome the opinions! My son said the same thing just last night, that we need to strip it and go over it with a fine-toothed comb. Neither of us have any experience at all with applying new monokote/ultrakote/fabric and I believe this cub is just the one to learn on.