RCU Forums - View Single Post - Senior Project/ PLEASE HELP
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Psychron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I think you've made a good choice for a first P-51 build. First, it's a 40 size so it's big enough to handle the wind and be an ok build but small enough to be affordable. I personally wouldn't choose to start with just a 4 channel radio but unless you are willing to go against the opinions of a great many people on this forum and buy from HobbyKing or BangGood you can't really do better than the full combo and stay within your budget. Second, it's a Great Planes model and their instructions are usually very good. I strongly recommend you read the manual on building that model BEFORE you buy it. I always read the instructions at least twice - once before I start and again during the build. Sometimes, especially on a hard build, I will read each section thoroughly before building that section and then again during the build so that makes 3 times total. And watch the review. The web page tells you what you need to build the model as does the instruction manual. Fill out a complete list and get your pricing. It also wouldn't hurt to send that complete list to Tower and tell them what you are doing to see if you can get a discount on a complete package.

Good luck with your build. If you need help at any point just send me a PM. There are many tricks in building that are not mentioned in the instructions.

And get a good building board unless you have either a pool table or glass dining room table you can dedicate to building. I've used both. I also recommend a 24x36 self-sealing cutting mat. Tower has them but so does Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joann's and other crafts stores. And theirs are often cheaper.
So our friend is running up against a tight deadline. I recall the control line plane I had that flew with a cox pee wee .049 engine taking me a good month to build and it was only a 2 foot wingspan. It was literally not much bigger than the UMX planes E-flite is churning out.

With 3000 glue joints, could he get away with hot glue instead of CA? would the hot glue add too much weight? I know it'd be the fastest way to assemble this thing. He and I have been talking about other alternatives. there are smaller rubber band powered mustangs that he could build and coat in clear monokote or something that allows others to see the framework inside. That might be better for a school project and at the same time at $40 he'd still have enough money to buy the warbird he really wants ARF out of balsa and put either an electronic powerplant or gas as he saw fit completely separate from the project.

I was looking at one on ebay that I can't post a url for yet... sucks being a new user.

I just don't want him to end up with a .40 sized kit that's going to take him 4 months to build. Busy schedule, varsity athlete... he's going to have his hands full. I mean I know the phrase is, you'll never have time unless you make time, but..... I just would like to see him succeed. Right now he's teetering on the edge of switching topics altogether.