RCU Forums - View Single Post - glow engines are fading away
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Psychron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
A cheap 2 meter glider like a Gentle Lady sounds good with an electric motor on the nose. Carbon fibre is overkill at those speeds. Not sure about one hour flights unless the thermal gods are on your side. I still fly my Amptique with a brushed motor and two A123 batteries if it is dead calm out. A 3 cell LiPo melted the first motor, and the original 7 cell sub C pack was a stone. The first fire of the LiPo kept me away from them for a while. The A123 is surprisingly good with that plane. Maybe only 7 minute flights though. They are a little heavier than LiPo. I do lie the elctric for gliders rather than a glow power pod. You can go up a few times.
yeah the sub c packs are rough and there's like 20 lbs of steel in each one isnt there? lol

So we've got dollar tree here in the states and they sell Adams Reddi Board... something to that name. We all call it dollar tree foam board. That'll be my medium and liberal applications of hot glue so I hope you're right about the spar. I've kind of fallen in love with the method. It's strong enough (most of the time) and it takes the hot glue well and heck..nothing beats building something sweet with $5.00 worth of 20x30" paper coated foam board.

one regret.. I can't mount a nitro on it.