RCU Forums - View Single Post - LiPo Capacity for Receiver/Servos
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 05:14 AM
429CV23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danielplace
If the engine doesn't start in a few pulls a electric starter is not the answer. Fix the problem why it won't start right up . Most people just don't understand how to start a two stroke. First you choke the crap out of it one or maybe even two pulls until you have induced a slightly flooded condition then you hold the throttle wide open and pull until it fires up.

An electric starter in a boat is not going to be work worth a darn once it is full of water a few times. All sealed means nothing to water it will get in. All sealed means water gets in but will never get out. Carting around a big ole' pack that can't get wet not good either. If the engine isn't starting it is just going to burn up the starter system.
It is just really just a gimmick.
If there is enough water in the hull to fill the starter gearbox, it'll be at the bottom of the lake. It may be a gimmick ... until it dies in the middle of the lake and I don't have to throw on a life jacket and swim out to retrieve it or fire up the boat to go get it. Even if it is a complete gimmick; I'm OK with that. I see it as a convenience feature. If electric starters in general were just a gimmick, you'd be manually cranking your car to start it.
I've never run electric boats so I am not too familiar with electric running gear. Do they wrap their packs to keep them waterproof? If so, I'll look it up and follow the same practice if it is a safety issue.