RCU Forums - View Single Post - Norvel AME .049 (.8cc)
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 04:58 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I am going to order the Galbreath conversion head for Nelson plugs to fit my Norvel .049. They sell the standard Nelson HD plugs (I'm guessing they must be a colder heat range?) as well as hot Nelson plugs. Which would be best off with? I'd like to get a couple plugs with the conversion head and would like to not need to get both of I don't need to. There's also a mention on the Galbreath site about using only one shim if going from a Norvel head to the Nelson head - I think they mean the Norvel glow head and not the standard plug head? Are the Norvel glow heads and standard plug heads setup with the same chamber size/volume? I have two shims currently (I don't know how thick they are off hand), so my question is what glow plugs should I get and do I need to have more than two shims? I plan to use a typical 1/2a fuel using 15-20% nitro and 22-24% oil. I removed one shim from under the standard head and have a long glow plug with a single washer under it - the compression is still a little soft (I'm not real experienced with these smaller engines, so I don't know what is acceptable/"good") and the piston seal isn't the best, but it does feel a little stronger with only one shim installed.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 10-02-2017 at 05:37 AM.