RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ay up from the UK!
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Mark Powell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redpilot
Thanks Mark. I'd almost given up on this forum as being full of rude snobs who don't want people to take up the hobby

Useful advice there, though the poster above knows less than he thinks, since the SAFE system has three settings, including PFF, so its possible to progress (hence my interest)

I do want to join a club, but I am in the middle of moving job and house at the moment, so no clear idea of where I will end up, and certainly no flying time ATM.

You're right about the interest in drones, BTW. My other interest is photography, so I saw it as a possible adjunct to that.

Thanks again for your helpful advice. I will make a note of it.
Redpilot.

I looked at the Apprentice. It seems an EXCELLENT choice, and as you say, it appears you can switch it so that your control is not limited in any way, but you can still use the 'red button' if needed (but always remember that not even the red button will save if it is too close to the ground to complete a recovery). It's fairly big, which is good, as often bigger trainers are less 'touchy' than little ones (that's a generalisation, I know, but given two sizes of the same design, it's broadly true). Also E-flite has a good reputation. Like Multiplex they can be quite expensive but if you want to save money go to building society not a model shop

I downloaded the manual and had a quick look. Pay particular note to 'centering the controls' and 'setting the throws' as these things are rarely set up exactly right straight out of the box.

One important thing about foamies. Keep it at an 'equable' temperature and never leave it in your car on a hot day If you do they warp all over the place. And similarly, don't leave things like brooms, garden rakes, etc. leaning against it. And briefly re-check the control centreing if you have stored it for a few weeks as foam tends to 'move'. Also ALWAYS check for 'full and free movement in the correct direction' of all the controls EVERY time before you open the throttle to take off. It only takes a few seconds. One point with the ailerons. Remember, to turn Right the Right aileron should Rise (setting up the ailerons backwards causes a lot of crashes on the very first flight of a new plane).

Last edited by Mark Powell; 10-05-2017 at 06:18 PM.