RCU Forums - View Single Post - Restoration of the CARF P-47 know as Kansas Tonado
Old 10-05-2017, 06:39 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Besides the firewall when CARF suggests a top speed limit where is the next weakness on either model? When I had my Corsair kit I remember reading the manual and they specified 120mph limit. I'm wondering why and what can be strengthened to extend that. I see guys flying these giants at speeds far above 120mph but never see them break up in flight.
Any ideas?
I plan on getting back to a Corsair in the near future and will improve it as suggested so far.
Good question Chris.

I have thought about this and it has been a subject of conversation among us builders and pilots. These are composite aircraft. Not much in the way of internal superstructure from the factory. We add some as builders where we think it would help, but even this is not near what a build up plane gets. Now, add to this the fact that, in spite of being composite, they are not especially light aircraft due to the scale nature of the designs, and the radial engines we use on them. So, what we have is a fairly heavy scale composite airplane traveling at 120 MPH, and then entering a turn. Can you imagine the G force now exerted on that air frame, just making a turn! Here is where, IMO, the CARF do not exceed speed is born from. I have heard of flutter on some planes. The geometry on the control systems is very good. Good quality servos of sufficient strength, with tight linkage, and I see no issues that could be called inherent. Wing fold failures have occurred and proven to be the result of a loss of pressure in the original hydraulic system.

Just fly scale and fly smart and we should be fine.