RCU Forums - View Single Post - Entry-level Kit
Thread: Entry-level Kit
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 03:11 AM
MongoPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Entry-level Kit

Hello RC lovers,

My son would like to ask Santa for an RC kit that he could build himself (with as little help from Dad as possible).

The problem I'm having is that the options for unassembled entry-level kits seem to be extremely limited. It seems I'll have to get him an inferior vehicle, just because he wants to build it himself.

For example, the current favourite is the ECX Amp MT Build To Drive (BTD) kit. Compared to most of the RTR trucks out there by Traxxas, Arrma and ECX, the 2WD Amp is just not as nice, it seems. Especially since it's 2WD (he already has a 2WD Slash).

He has also mentioned that he likes the metallic edition Midnight Pumpkin Tamiya kit, but again, this is an outdated 2WD truck that is not going to perform like, for example, a Stampede or a Granite.

There just doesn't seem to be a decent 4x4 entry-level kit out there. I've watched videos on the Tamiya Super Clodbuster. It looks great, but the performance seems to leave a lot to be desired.

I'd love to hear from experienced RC guys out there on what you would do. Would you get a better-performing RTR, like a 4x4 Stampede? Or, would you go with the Amp MT and let him learn how to build a 2WD truck that will likely get caught up on grass higher then 2 inches tall?

Thanks again for your thoughts!

-Mongol Pete