RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ay up from the UK!
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Mark Powell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Nagy
Hi Redpilot;
Greetings to you from Wickenburg, Arizona, USA.
Re your request for advice for a beginner type RC aircraft, I would strongly agree with Jolly Popper above re his recommendation of the SIG Kadet, and the Carl Goldberg Eagle; I would add the following: a Hal deBolt designed Live Wire Cub/Champ, LW Trainer; note these are long out of production but plans are available online. Other choices would be a M.E.N. Trainer, and the Butterfly I & II; these are also out of production but are available on line [eBay], + plans are available also.
Do join a club, and seek out the old timers', [like myself], for advice; note again: all the design suggestions herein are for US designs, however, there are many,many similar UK/European designs that are similar, but the deBolts'/SIGs'/Carl Goldbergs' are known world wide. Start with slow flying high wing design, flying with Rudder/Elevator/Throtle Control only, learn to fly with an instructor, once you can fly, then advance to a model with the additional Aileron Control.
And that's about all I can suggest: 'been there/done that', 65+ years destroying balsawood, 49 years in RC.
I will close for now, welcome to RCU, and the best of luck to you, best regards from the old western frontier town of Wickenburg, Arizona, the Roping Capital of the World,

Joe Nagy.
I wil
What a nice, positive post.
I'm in the UK and know all the planes you suggest. In its day the little 1/2A Goldberg Skylane was a popular choice here. Ken Willard designs were popular too, as was the more advanced Top Flite Tauri.

I looked up Wickenburg. It has an interesting history and looks a pleasant place. We have lots more history than you but as most of it is about long dead kings it's not very interesting. We called our troublesome tribesmen 'the Scots'

Last edited by Mark Powell; 10-18-2017 at 12:08 AM.